5.12.2014

Photography Two-cents…

I am a “graphic designer who does photography…” and not a pure photographer by training.

I  teach photography regularly, and I have always told my students that, first and foremost, I am a graphic designer. During the time that I went through school (early 80's), a part of my training included some basic fine-arts photographic preparation (and the world of darkrooms and black and white film). I feel comfortable around the medium (Although I had to adjust to digital like many of the old salty-dog photographers out there).

At any rate, I always feel compelled to make this distinction because there is occasion for Designers and Photographers to sometimes view things differently. The vast majority of the time though, it is a very complementary relationship, with the added experience and expertise of  each party resulting in a solid visual product. The experienced photographer typically plays a pivotal part in helping an AD achieve a communication goal.

Occasionally, with a media-driven process, there can be differing viewpoints. This is when my design background comes out. My message (the brand, the idea, the concept) has to be king. If it means cropping that photo much tighter than the photographer would like—so be it.

I also appreciate great photographic equipment (while I myself cannot afford it). It's awesome to shoot on a pro's 5DmkIII with pro L lenses! It makes sense for the pros to have great equipment, but anyone who cannot make a return on the cost of investment is not really getting what its all about. An old friend in Arizona  repeated the well recited mantra to me: “ beginners worry about gear, pros worry about light (and money too).”

Too often I also feel that equipment can often become an excuse for students not mastering the fundamentals or understanding basic technique. I have had more than a few students claim their work was subpar because they didn't have “camera X ” or “gadget Y…” as well as a handful with D800's shooting entirely in AUTO.

Learn the camera you have! Master the exposure triangle and light, and figure out stops to light ratios. Take great shots and set up interesting composition and angles.
Once you've mastered the fundamentals (and if you have paying gigs), dropping 5K might make some sense.




No comments:

Post a Comment