1.30.2014

BE A SHOKUNIN

I've recently seen the movie JIRO DREAMS WITH SUSHI. For those with attention deficits, it may not always be the "easiest" or "action packed" movie to watch to the end, but hang in there and stick with it. The payoff will be if the lightbulb goes off for you.

The documentary is about a man who runs the world's greatest sushi restaurant. If you aren't a fan of sushi, please understand that the reason I'd like you to watch it has little to do with sushi… in fact sushi is the backdrop for the true story. The real story is about being a Shokunin.

Other bloggers have written far more eloquently about this movie (btw I enjoy this one).  Perhaps it is the circumspect that comes from getting old. But I find the pursuit of excellence to be the root of vocation. I don't know if 95% of us ever achieve it… but the pursuit is a part of the whole process.

This quote from Orate (also featured on the Wilson Hoo site)

"… a literal description does not fully express the deeper meaning{of SHOKUNIN}.  The Japanese apprentice is taught that shokunin means not only having technical skills, but also implies an attitude and social consciousness. … The shokunin has a social obligation to work his/her best for the general welfare of the people.  This obligation is both spiritual and material, in that no matter what it is, the shokunin’s responsibility is to fulfill the requirement.” 
– Tasio Orate

I have a standing "extra credit" offer to any students who stumble upon this entry: Watch the movie in it's entirety (don't lie about watching it, don't watch parts of it or give it partial attention while you work on a computer or type, and don't look up a synopsis or google someone else's ideas). Really watch it. I watched this over the course of three late nights (because I fell asleep before the end). I watched it, then continued until I saw the entire movie and processed its message. Then I watched it again.

Watch the movie--really watch it, and do a writeup of what you think. What are your impressions? Are you pursuing the path of the shokunin? Why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment